33 Days Challenge - Day 33: Recreate someone else’s mani

The day had finally come and I want to present to you the 33rd entry for the 33 Days Challenge!!!
For this entry the idea was either free style - which I anyway show you most of the time so nothing new in there - or to re create someone else's manicure from the challenge. And of course I chose that option and I looked at all the amazing entries of everyone in the challenge and decided to recreate Crazy Polishes - Dimpal's entry from day 28 in the challenge.
Watercolor Effect Manicure
First thing's first - make sure you check out Crazy Polishes post! She did a magnificent manicure AND she also made a tutorial video!!!
As for my version, I didn't have watercolors in the house so I had to improvise and I did this manicure with... nail polishes. I started with two coats of... don't be too shocked... OPI My Boyfriend Scales Walls. Yes, I recently found this polish and completely fell in love. It didn't change my overall dislike of OPI polishes, but I did get me this specific one and I love it tons. It has the most perfect formula, the smoothest application, this polish is completely self leveled and while it is white, it is not 100% white. There's a little bit of gray in it that's making it look much softer and so non-chalky. Below are two coats, no top.
OPI My Boyfriend Scales Walls

OPI My Boyfriend Scales Walls
Then I used some striping tape to create the lanes just like Dimpal suggested, and I used a small flat brush with very very small amount of color to paint between the lines. Close to my nail beds I used a tiny bit more polish, and towards the tips I used a lot less. My brush was almost completely dry. Then I used another soft brush dipped in some acetone and I smeared the polish near the tips of my nails to create that watercolor effect. And once I was done with all that and removed the striping tape, I sponged the tips of my nails with just a little bit of my base polish to make the colors blend even some more. 
Watercolor Effect Manicure
In case you need to know, here's the list of polishes that I used: on my index and ring nails I used L.A. Girl Matte Indigo, Zoya America, Butter London Pimms and Zoya Veruschka. On my middle and pinky I used Bondi New York The Limelight, Above The Curve Jennifer's Blue, Sinful Colors Feeling Great and Picture Polish Violet Femme.
Watercolor Effect Manicure

Watercolor Effect Manicure

Watercolor Effect Manicure
This manicure definitely enters into my most favorite manicures list! I need to thank two wonderful bloggers for this one: Dimpal for her amazing idea and tutorial, and Sarah from Chalkboard Nails for her technique of using almost no polish on the brush, from where I picked the idea to give this manicure a try. So thank you so much ladies for your creativity and endless source of inspiration!
And with that I officially completed the 33DC challenge! YAY!!






5 comments :

Ashley said...

This is just fab, Jin!! You did a great job!

cynthia decker said...

So very pretty, I love to see colorful manis on dreary days!

M. Fourey said...

The effect is gorgeous! ^^

Missy M (Gnarly Gnails) said...

what a cool idea! love this!

Raggio di Luna said...

Cool idea and you did an excellent job! :-)

Post a Comment

I love comments and I appreciate each one of yours!
I would love to hear from you but please, refrain from posting links. If you have a link that you want me to see - just email me :)
Thank you so much!